Habitat for Humanity of the Greater Harrisburg Area depends on volunteer engagement. We operate with a very small staff and our work could not be completed without the generous donation of time by our volunteers. The ReStore is no different: we rely on our volunteers for everything from collecting donations, testing, cleaning, and merchandising product, and loading customer purchases. Volunteers are our lifeblood and our marketing – in addition to what our volunteers do in the store, we count on them to spread the word of Habitat for Humanity and drum up more donors, shoppers, and volunteers for the Habitat for Humanity mission.
Why volunteer for charity at the ReStore?
Your community needs you! Did you know that all profits from the Harrisburg ReStore stay in the greater Harrisburg area? That means that when a shopper buys donated merchandise from our store, the proceeds directly support Habitat for Humanity’s mission to build safe, affordable housing in Harrisburg for hardworking, low-income families. So, when you volunteer with the ReStore, you are lending your skills and time to your local Harrisburg neighbors.
How can I become a Habitat for Humanity non-profit volunteer?
If you want to help the community, donate your time to charity, get in some physical activity, or you are just looking for something to do, volunteering at the Harrisburg ReStore would be a perfect fit. We are looking for individuals that would like to lend a hand, enjoy working with others, and have flexibility to volunteer their time for charity.
We make volunteering easy, by offering a new volunteer orientation to learn the basics of the ReStore and what it means to be a Habitat for Humanity volunteer. We have a new volunteer orientation on the first Saturday of each month. After the orientation, you’ll be familiar with the Harrisburg ReStore’s layout, product processing procedures, and the benefits of volunteering your time with a non-profit such as Habitat for Humanity. Plus, you’ll get to wear a fancy Habitat for Humanity volunteer T-shirt! To sign up as a volunteer or ask questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org today and let us help you get started!
Group and Corporate Volunteering
We are proud to work with groups, colleges, and corporations that are looking to volunteer for charity in Harrisburg, PA. When organizing a group or corporate volunteer team, think of the Habitat for Humanity ReStore. We can accommodate large groups with a new volunteer orientation and assign specific projects to your group. Volunteering for a non-profit like Habitat for Humanity ReStore can be the team-building experience you are looking for. For more information on Group, College, and Corporate volunteering in Harrisburg, email email@example.com.
- You must be enthusiastic and courteous
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years old
Duties and Expectations
We offer a few different shifts for everyone but are willing to work around your schedule.
- Morning Shift: 9am-1pm
- Afternoon Shift: 1pm-5pm
- All Day: 9am-5pm
If you always wanted to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity, but your schedule or skills haven’t allowed for onsite construction work, now is your chance to get involved! – ReStore Team
- Volunteers-in-training: On your first few visits, you will work closely with one of our lead volunteers, shadowing them and assisting in specific projects. You will also be asked to complete three online training modules. You can find the login information in your orientation packet.
- Departmental Volunteer: After your first 40 hours in the ReStore, you will be assigned to a specific department after conferring with management on your skills, interest and needs of the store. At the start of each shift, you will have a brief checklist of task for your department. Included Departments.
- Cabinets and Appliances
- Doors and Windows
- Furniture and Home Decor
- Lighting and Electronics
- Plumbing, Hardware, and Paint
- Cash Register
- Customer Service Specialist: Directly interact with customers, answer service and product related questions, have knowledge of store layout and products, handle customer feedback and complaints.
- Lead Volunteer: Regular volunteer who is giving additional tasks of mentoring and training new volunteers.