Habitat for Humanity of the Greater Harrisburg Area depends very heavily on volunteer engagement. We operate with a very small staff and our work could not be completed without the generous donation of time by our volunteers. The ReStore is no different: we rely on our volunteers for everything from collecting donations, testing, cleaning, and merchandising product, and loading customer purchases. Volunteers are our lifeblood and our marketing – in addition to what our volunteers do in the store, we count on them to spread the word of Habitat for Humanity and drum up more donors, shoppers, and volunteers for the Habitat for Humanity mission.
- You must be enthusiastic and courteous
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years old
Duties and Expectations
We offer a few different shifts for everyone but are willing to work around your schedule.
- Morning Shift
- Afternoon Shift
- All Day
If you always wanted to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity, but your schedule or skills haven’t allowed for onsite construction work, now is your chance to get involved
- Volunteers-in-training: On your first few visits, you will work closely with one of our lead volunteers, shadowing them and assisting in specific projects. You will also be asked to complete three online training modules. You can find the login information in your orientation packet.
- Departmental Volunteers: After your first 40 hours in the ReStore, you will be assigned to a specific department after conferring with management on your skills, interest and needs of the store. At the start of each shift, you will have a brief checklist of task for your department. Included Departments.
- Cabinets and Appliances
- Doors and Windows
- Furniture and Home Decor
- Lighting and Electronics
- Plumbing, Hardware, and Paint
- Cash Register
- Customer Service Specialist: Directly interact with customers, answer service and product related questions, have knowledge of store layout and products, handle customer feedback and complaints.
- Lead Volunteer: Regular volunteer who is giving additional tasks of mentoring and training new volunteers.